The tradition of community support and philanthropy is stronger than ever as proven throughout the history of Health First, which dates back to 1937 with the opening of our flagship and largest hospital, known today as Health First's Holmes Regional Medical Center. Even then, charity was at the heart of the matter. The very land the important 27-bed hospital was built upon was donated by local leaders in the community. Through the years, charitable gifts have continued to fund important expansions, purchase new equipment and help train and hire dedicated nurses and physicians.
In 1995, Holmes and its affiliates, which included Palm Bay Hospital, joined with nearby Cape Canaveral Hospital to form a three-hospital network of health care providers named Health First. Both Holmes and its new health care partner, Cape Canaveral Hospital, had established community boards of volunteers guiding their charitable fundraising efforts. With the establishment of Health First, they collaborated and shared some management oversight for a few years. In 2000, their boards of directors were formally merged and incorporated as one group—the Health First Foundation. The all-volunteer board represents a broad spectrum of passionate leaders from area businesses, civic and community groups. Today, the Health First Foundation continues to guide the charitable outreach of Health First.